The mission of the FHS wrestling program is four-fold:
- To introduce the sport of wrestling at a fundamental level while providing opportunities for intermediate to advanced instruction
- To educate wrestlers on the technical, psychological, and physical elements of the sport
- To prepare wrestlers to successfully compete at the varsity level and the collegiate level
- To produce conference champions, regional champions, and state champions
We will represent the Fairfax High School community on and off the wrestling mat as competitive, well-rounded student-athletes while cultivating the “whole person” by promoting character development, emphasizing scholarly achievement, and fostering a passion for wrestling.
Discipline we will demonstrate a focused attitude of self-control that drives our systematic application of blood, sweat, and tears to achieve our goals.
Competency we will understand the expectations of Fairfax wrestlers, and execute our individual tasks and responsibilities on and off the wrestling mat.
Loyalty we will be faithful to our commitment to ourselves, to our teammates, and to our program.
Accountability we will take responsibility for our actions in the classroom, in the community, and on the wrestling mat.
Fun we will have fun being a part of something greater than ourselves, and celebrate our small successes in our journey to achieve big.
- One’s commitment to his or her personal religious faith (if applicable).
- Family obligations and responsibilities.
- Academic responsibilities.
- Athletic responsibilities.
What wrestlers can expect from coaches:
- Character: that coaches will serve as positive role models
- Preparation: that coaches will be prepared to instruct and develop wrestlers daily
- Accountability: that coaches will hold wrestlers accountable for their attitudes and actions
- Effort: that coaches will give wrestlers their very best at all times
- Student-athlete centered: that the coaches’ first priority will always be the student-athletes’ best interest and self-development
What parents can expect from coaches:
- Communication: that coaches will communicate clearly and efficiently
- Teamwork: that coaches will work in tandem with parents to develop and train our student-athletes
- Safety & Support: that coaches will provide student-athletes with a safe, supportive, and positive environment
Expectations for wrestlers:
- Promptness: that wrestlers will be on time and prepared for all team-sanctioned events (e.g., practice, matches, meetings)
- Communication: that wrestlers will communicate with coaches in a clear and timely manner
- Character: that wrestlers will conduct themselves as young adults and represent the Fairfax community with class at all times. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Wrestlers will not consume alcohol or illegal drugs in accordance with the FCPS participation policy
- Wrestlers will not use profane language
- Wrestlers will keep their “Rebel in Good Standing” (R.I.G.S.) status at all times
- Loyalty: that wrestlers will support and respect their teammates while remaining loyal to them and the Fairfax wrestling program for the duration of the current wrestling season
- Attitude: that wrestlers will maintain a positive attitude and demonstrate grit, even in the face of adversity
Expectations for parents:
- Planning: that parents will take the Fairfax wrestling schedule into consideration when planning trips, vacations, etc. (please refer to priorities above)
- Communication: that parents will communicate with coaches